DieselDialogue

10 ton Harvey deck over

Started by materthegreater71 replies

  1. materthegreaterSuper User#61

    What type of hydraulic actuator does it have? Some of the ones I've been looking at seem to only work with certain brake controllers on the truck.

  2. smifwalSenior Member#62

    I will take a picture here in a bit. my truck has the E/H option to switch between brake systems but I don't know of that matters because I didn't know it had that for a couple of years and the older trucks I have don't have it and it seemed to work fine. They are very different than the other style of brakes so much that when my friend hauled my trailer for the first time he told me they weren't working and proceeded to use the manual switch to engage on the hwy full blast and said see, I smacked his hand as quickly as I could and said when we get to a stop I will show you how they work. Some people don't like them because they don't "react" like what they are used to. I like them for that reason, they don't lock up, they act more like your truck brakes

  3. smifwalSenior Member#63

    Hydrastar® 1600 PSI Brake Actuator Surge Conversion Kit {*381-9067}Default Title Convert your surge brake system to electric over hydraulic with this 1,600 PSI Hydrastar actuator kit. DOT compliant, sealed aluminum housing, 2-year hydrastarusa.com

  4. HarleyHappySuper User#64

    Other than the pads, the rust doesn’t look half as bad as it could be.

  5. crane operatorSuper User#65

    It would be a job to convert to E/H . I don't know if you could find the plates to fit your axles. Then run all the hyd lines. Looks to me like you just need all new shoes. What are you pulling this with the blue IH? Got the ability to go air brakes? Because that would be my choice if I was going to the work of converting.

  6. materthegreaterSuper User#66

    smifwal said: I will take a picture here in a bit. my truck has the E/H option to switch between brake systems but I don't know of that matters because I didn't know it had that for a couple of years and the older trucks I have don't have it and it seemed to work fine. They are very different than the other style of brakes so much that when my friend hauled my trailer for the first time he told me they weren't working and proceeded to use the manual switch to engage on the hwy full blast and said see, I smacked his hand as quickly as I could and said when we get to a stop I will show you how they work. Some people don't like them because they don't "react" like what they are used to. I like them for that reason, they don't lock up, they act more like your truck brakes Click to expand... I did some research and looked at those hydraulic actuators. More pricey than I thought they would be.

  7. materthegreaterSuper User#67

    HarleyHappy said: Other than the pads, the rust doesn’t look half as bad as it could be. Click to expand... Just enough rust to pop the lining off the shoe.

  8. materthegreaterSuper User#68

    crane operator said: It would be a job to convert to E/H . I don't know if you could find the plates to fit your axles. Then run all the hyd lines. Looks to me like you just need all new shoes. What are you pulling this with the blue IH? Got the ability to go air brakes? Because that would be my choice if I was going to the work of converting. Click to expand... I ended up just buying replacement shoes for the electric setup. Unfortunately with all the other things going on right now I don't have money available for upgrading to anything. Yes I do pull it with the IH most of the time, but occasionally with the 550, so it would be nice to keep it electrically controlled. And, the IH doesn't have trailer air so that would be a job to add also.

  9. materthegreaterSuper User#69

    The previous owner put the brakes on the wrong sides. I wonder if that's why they were always over tightening themselves. More better:

  10. crane operatorSuper User#70

    Is this the drivers or passenger side of the trailer? You would get very poor braking if they were on the wrong direction.

  11. materthegreaterSuper User#71

    crane operator said: Is this the drivers or passenger side of the trailer? You would get very poor braking if they were on the wrong direction. Click to expand... This is the right side of the trailer.

  12. Willie BSenior Member#72

    materthegreater said: The previous owner put the brakes on the wrong sides. I wonder if that's why they were always over tightening themselves. View attachment 365780 More better: View attachment 365781 Click to expand... I have a 1961 British IH B275 utility tractor. It has an unusual design disc brake set up. 2 clutch style discs each side, in between, are two cast discs with pockets to accept 3/4" balls. Rotate the discs against each other, the balls roll out of the pockets. Like power brakes on one side, like power brake on the other side in reverse. If it hasn't been used in a while the surfaces get rusty & grabby. With a bush hog lifted off the ground, pointing uphill, touch the left brake, it swivels 180 degrees faster than you'd think possible. Makes for a wild ride! These days that tractor mostly runs the wood splitter.

Reply