Apparently I never re-torqued the lug nuts after doing the decking and paint work One stud was cracked and broke when I torqued it, so I decided to replace all the studs on that hub. I was planning to replace the lug nuts with acorn style to keep the threads from getting rusty like they always do, but I didn't realize the cone seats angle was 90 degrees instead of the typical 60 degrees. So now I have 32 lug nuts for sale...
10 ton Harvey deck over
Started by materthegreater71 replies
materthegreaterSuper User#21 cfherrmanSenior Member#22 That's a good tire!
ps66x4Junior Member#23 What happened there?
materthegreaterSuper User#24 Not exactly sure. I noticed it when I picked up the Mecalac on Saturday. The driveway at that job is 3-4" crushed stone so a bit rough, but I wouldn't expect it to tear up a tire that badly. I'm surprised it still held air. I was a little nervous getting close enough to it to remove the valve core. Chinese tires only last so long I guess. These tires were on it when I bought the trailer in 2020 so I can't complain too much. The wheels are getting a bit rusty and the other tires probably won't last too much longer so I'm considering upgrading to 17.5" wheels and tires. I imagine they would wear a lot better and handle full loads better.
AllDodgeSenior Member#25 BTW did you use 2x10's or 12's? and what kind of wood was used?
skyking1Super User#26 5 year old ***** tires are *****! That is an interesting slippage.
materthegreaterSuper User#27 AllDodge said: BTW did you use 2x10's or 12's? and what kind of wood was used? Click to expand... The middle plank is 14" wide, the next on either side are 8", then 10" and the outer two on both sides are 12". Oil soaked hemlock.
AllDodgeSenior Member#28 Hemlock, never thought of that I'm looking around at where I can get rough cut lumber, because I really need to redo the trailer
materthegreaterSuper User#29 skyking1 said: 5 year old ***** tires are *****! That is an interesting slippage. Click to expand... My asterisk translator isn't working, does that say "5 year old black tires are round"? We could turn this into an mad-libs game...
materthegreaterSuper User#30 AllDodge said: Hemlock, never thought of that I'm looking around at where I can get rough cut lumber, because I really need to redo the trailer Click to expand... I had milled this years ago and it was stored inside/under cover. It still shrank a fair amount after I installed it from the trailer sitting in the sun all day every day.
Willie BSenior Member#31 materthegreater said: View attachment 310215 Click to expand... If your channel clears travel of the tires, you are good. You've violated your own rule about trapping salt, slime & water. Lets call those components over the tires expendable. You'll be my age when you need to replace them. I offer nothing in sandwich form to the salt demons. All steel is one layer only. also goes for wood over flat steel. I do sandwich steel sometimes, coat both surfaces with a barrel of Texaco Rustproof Compound L. I've hoarded it since 1974. No rust exists where it is displacing salt water.
skyking1Super User#32 materthegreater said: My asterisk translator isn't working, does that say "5 year old black tires are round"? We could turn this into an mad-libs game... Click to expand... Same word, twice. begins with S and ends with T. NOT SALT!
materthegreaterSuper User#33 skyking1 said: Same word, twice. begins with S and ends with T. NOT SALT! Click to expand... I see, must be "short" tires. I'll get taller ones next time
Willie BSenior Member#34 materthegreater said: View attachment 347393 Click to expand... The 9 ton I used to have used an odd size tire, I owned it with a partner. He put Carlyle tires on it, Loaned it out first day it was roadworthy. Borower hauled it empty to Pennsylvania with electric brakes turned to the maximum. New tires were flat spotted octagonal. Local tire dealer talked me into Blue Star (Chinese tires) went through 12 (two sets) triaxle singles in 2000 miles. Sidewalls would blow out. I would tighten Dayton lugs each trip. Last trip I lost a wheel. I sold it. Current owner hauls a 3-1/2 ton excavator, reports no problems. My current trailer I've owned several years. 3 7500 LB axles plus tongue weight, with good tires they are holding up.
HarleyHappySuper User#35 My brother hauled my Kubota over to his friends house for some driveway work and putting up one of those fabric shelters. I hate those fabric shelters but anyway, he told me it’s finally time to re-deck the 20’ equipment trailer. Been treating it for years but some boards are finally gone. Need to find some rough cut hemlock. Think I know who to call.
Willie BSenior Member#36 I laid hands on Black Locust logs, had them milled.
materthegreaterSuper User#37 Willie B said: If your channel clears travel of the tires, you are good. You've violated your own rule about trapping salt, slime & water. Lets call those components over the tires expendable. You'll be my age when you need to replace them. I offer nothing in sandwich form to the salt demons. All steel is one layer only. also goes for wood over flat steel. I do sandwich steel sometimes, coat both surfaces with a barrel of Texaco Rustproof Compound L. I've hoarded it since 1974. No rust exists where it is displacing salt water. Click to expand... So far so good. Yes it's not ideal having that much flat metal with wood on top. But at least it's accessible for repainting if the planks are taken off. Box tube is not accessible on the inside with any method I am able to use. I haven't heard of that Texaco compound. Is it still being made?
materthegreaterSuper User#38 Found a steal of a deal on 17.5" wheels for this trailer. Just had to go to Cape Cod to get them.
Willie BSenior Member#39 materthegreater said: So far so good. Yes it's not ideal having that much flat metal with wood on top. But at least it's accessible for repainting if the planks are taken off. Box tube is not accessible on the inside with any method I am able to use. I haven't heard of that Texaco compound. Is it still being made? Click to expand... I don't know. In the 1970s my then brother in law found the product. If I recall the gun to spray it was very expensive. He borrowed the gun, did all the family vehicles in one or two days. I don't have the gun. I use a putty knife, body putty spreader, or warm it to liquid & paint it on. Stuff is like bubble gum. My 1971 Jeep was showing its age around 1976. Sprayed that on, it arrested the rust. Jeep took a wild ride down a wild river in 2011, but was road worthy & messy until then. I have heard of a new to market product it's a grease product with solvent. Comes in aerosol cans with a long flexible hose, with omni directional nozzle. You stick it through a drilled hole, pull it out as it sprays. I'll see if I can find it again. In your trailer frame, you'll have to replace the planking again, replace the rusted hollow sections then.
HarleyHappySuper User#40 Are you talking about Woolwax? Thats what I use, I still have some Fluid Film left but the smell from that stuff makes me sick. Not to mention, the Fluid Film washes off easily.