Took a while to get the wood and started taking it off. Buddy with a saw mill and had several White Oak's fall in the storm, cut me up some. I asked if he could do it 1.5 inch, but he said he cuts 2 inch. So I picked up 3 inch screws, 20 cobalt bits and counter sink bit. Never took wood off a trailer like this but @materthegreater gave me some insight but I had to trial and error at first. My first try was to cut through the boat and try to pry it up, that didn't work so well. Next used a chain and a forklift, it did better but still not good. Thought about my backhoe and a chain, but decided against it. Best method so far is cut a short distance away from the screws and then hit with a sledge, that worked. Got 3/4 of the deck off and getting to hot so I'll do some more later
10 Ton Tag re-deck with 2 inch oak
Started by AllDodge27 replies
AllDodgeSenior Member#1 LabparamourNew Member#2 I did my decking 3yrs ago. I used a hole saw without the centering bit. Worked okay.
AllDodgeSenior Member#3 A hole saw???
Joe HJunior Member#4 Around the screws.
AllDodgeSenior Member#5 Oh got it Did find that as i got closer to finishing i cut the wood so there was about 4ft between cuts. Doing this gave me enough leverage to lift and break it free. All the wood is off now Wonder if I should grind flat the studs that didn't break off flush or just smake the board on top before drilling holes?
LabparamourNew Member#6 Joe H said: Around the screws. Click to expand... Yeah, sorry….didn’t complete my thought. I ground screw shanks flush
HarleyHappySuper User#7 Grind the flat. Are you using trailer floor screws? The ones that self tap from 1/4” to 5/16”?
AllDodgeSenior Member#8 Yes same ones mater used just longer. Have a cople down and the wood sticks up 1/2 inch as expected.
crane operatorSuper User#9 We always pre drill , even with the self tapping screws.
AllDodgeSenior Member#10 crane operator said: We always pre drill , even with the self tapping screws. Click to expand... I did pre-drill as screw manufacture listed, I bought 20 bits, I'm on 3 rd one Should have taken pic, will try to get tomorrow Issues we're running into is the buddy that has the sawmill said he normally only does 10 ft. He did 16ft for me (most 17+) and I'm seeing problems with being straight. They fairly straight for the first 6ft, than the get wider and than get smaller closer to the other end. Going to buy a couple more 7.5 carbide tip saw blades to morrow for ripping. The chalk line is turning into my friend, if I really need a friend like that One if the boards measures 2.25 inch thick, if 2 inch wasn't thick enough
smifwalSenior Member#11 Pick yourself up a electric hand planer from harbor freight. Works well and it is cheap https://www.harborfreight.com/75-amp-3-14-in-planer-with-dust-bag-61687.html?hftm_sc=&hftm_source=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=23914512667&campaignid=23914512667&utm_content=194118217101&adsetid=194118217101&product=61687&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=23914512667&gbraid=0AAAAADAHb4fuy0R6X3DBf7Hw2AQQGTgyG&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_HSBhCpARIsANvVltaY_NzMROyHblemMIx8GQAjkAl5zXa5cjtjJ9SotUJQYTv61WFhPtoaAgRgEALw_wcB
AllDodgeSenior Member#12 I do have a good planer but don't see how that will take out a 1/4 to 3/8 bow with any accuracy
smifwalSenior Member#13 I was referring to the 2.5 board
AllDodgeSenior Member#14 smifwal said: I was referring to the 2.5 board Click to expand... Boards are 2.5 to 2 inch thick and 8 to 12 inch wide , that will take a lot of planning
materthegreaterSuper User#15 What kind of sawmill is he using?
AllDodgeSenior Member#16 materthegreater said: What kind of sawmill is he using? Click to expand... A portable, don't remember the name. It's been setup for many years in the same place.
materthegreaterSuper User#17 If it's a band or circular type saw, that's a lot of variation, even for an amateur operator. If it was a chainsaw type, it would be a little more understandable.
AllDodgeSenior Member#18 It's a band saw type
gwhammyJunior Member#19 Watched a video of a guy putting boards on. He put all the boards on and layed a channel across and used a mag drill for his pilot holes. That fits a lazy many like me. It's a lot of drilling, I've done several.
smifwalSenior Member#20 gwhammy said: Watched a video of a guy putting boards on. He put all the boards on and layed a channel across and used a mag drill for his pilot holes. That fits a lazy many like me. It's a lot of drilling, I've done several. Click to expand... I use my mag drill like a mobile drill press queit a bit. I have screwed or clamped metal to wood, I don't like drilling by hand. I have had mine for about 10 years, it has saved the day multiple times. I think it is a pretty good investment, some times I wish I had the one that would do 3" depth but that has only been a handful of times when drilling 2 1/2" square tube