DieselDialogue

50s Continental TD427 injection pump problem(s)

Started by M92PV4U40 replies

  1. M92PV4UJunior Member#1

    I have a 50s John Hollingsworth generator powered by a naturally aspirated Continental TD427. We have used this generator a few times with small issues like mechanical oil pressure gauge line breaking & small issues like that. Then in early 2020 it quit starting, but would run on ether. One of our friends / customers owns a diesel shop on the way to our jobsite so we dropped it off with him as we were too busy to look into it. His conclusion was contaminated fuel. We were in a hurry and sent the pump to a local place to be gone through, there was some kind of plunger stuck, keeping the pump from injecting fuel. The shop cleaned up the line set & installed a temporary fuel tank. We got a replacement tank built, because the orginal could not be economically taken apart. Now it has only been ran on new clean diesel and we're ready to install the new fuel tank. I get it installed and fueled up and run into the same problem again, this being a few months later we sent the pump back in with the same symptoms. By this time the company that rebuild the pump moved out of state, from Ca to somewhere else, I can find out tomorrow if it's important. They tore the pump down noted heavy varnish and re assembled it. I started asking questions and made a thread on a different forum and it was recommended that I give this machine heavy doses of power klenz id 5007. After getting the line set cleaned up again, changing the fuel pump & low pressure lines, filters & cleaning the housing that was reused everything was assembled and up and running.

  2. M92PV4UJunior Member#2

    Fast forward to this past week and we have use for this thing again. I installed fresh batteries and tried to fire it up, no dice. It starts off of ether. I cracked the low pressure lines & the lift pump is pumping fuel. I cracked the lines to prime the injectors & nothing... I decided to pull the Governor cover off and see what kind of shape it was in & the fuel was ruby red with no build up. Next I pulled the timing cover off of the pump & noticed that the timing mark wasn't moving... upon removing the pump I found this. I confirmed that the injection pump is indeed locked up. It has had problems before judging by this orange silicone. I don't have any literature on this engine or injection pump, but I am leaning towards tearing the pump down myself and either locating a shaft or having one built, but another seemingly major problem with this engine is that it gets oil in the cooling system.

  3. M92PV4UJunior Member#3

    I guess my question is; if anyone knows where to search for parts or has information on these engines it would be greatly welcomed. I have two Motors Truck Manuals from the 50s & 60s, but they only list specifications for TD6427.

  4. thepumpguyscSenior Member#4

    The pump SHAFT has snapped off due to the HEAD AND ROTOR being SEIZED.. Neither part is salvageable.. The Continental part number is on the bottom right on the nameplate.. The manufacturer part number (RoosaMaster/Stanadyne) is on the top line: DBGFC635-2AO FROM WHAT I CAN MAKE OUT. It might be DBGFCC… I can tell.

  5. M92PV4UJunior Member#5

    thepumpguysc said: The pump SHAFT has snapped off due to the HEAD AND ROTOR being SEIZED.. Neither part is salvageable.. The Continental part number is on the bottom right on the nameplate.. The manufacturer part number (RoosaMaster/Stanadyne) is on the top line: DBGFC635-2AO FROM WHAT I CAN MAKE OUT. It might be DBGFCC… I can tell. Click to expand... First off good morning pumpguy & thank you for the reply. You were the one that I was told to find by the person who directed me to this forum. From reading some of your previous posts, I think that you've already diagnosed the problem with the roosamaster on my 580b. Model #: DGFCL635-2AQ Serial #: 113904 Manufacturing #: TD427F-290 We've been trying to track down parts since Friday afternoon so not too long, but do you of a source for these?

  6. thepumpguyscSenior Member#6

    Can u confirm it’s a 6 cyl.?? Or a 4 cyl.??

  7. M92PV4UJunior Member#7

    thepumpguysc said: Can u confirm it’s a 6 cyl.?? Or a 4 cyl.?? Click to expand... 6 cylinder.

  8. thepumpguyscSenior Member#8

    I found a pump online but it’s sold.. Let me look around and I’ll be in touch.

  9. M92PV4UJunior Member#9

    thepumpguysc said: I found a pump online but it’s sold.. Let me look around and I’ll be in touch. Click to expand... Sounds good, Thank-you.

  10. thepumpguyscSenior Member#10

    There’s a pump at Aviation store.. Use the TD427F-290 number in CAPS. & fill out the form.. There’s a spot for your target price.. I’d put 300.00 US..& see what the response is.. The pump will have to be gone thru to make sure it’s in good working order.. so take that into consideration..($$$)

  11. thepumpguyscSenior Member#11

    Btw.. ur going to HAVE TO pull the injectors.!! That’s what probably seized the rebuilt pump.?? Once the pump starts pumping fuel, and it hits a stuck injector, the fuel pressure backs up down the line and seizes the pump.. So before u bolt a pump to the engine, pull the injectors and get them checked.. It sounds like u have more problems with that engine with oil in the coolant.. U might be throwing good money after bad.??

  12. M92PV4UJunior Member#12

    thepumpguysc said: It sounds like u have more problems with that engine with oil in the coolant.. U might be throwing good money after bad.?? Click to expand... It doesn't come up often that we need a big generator so right now we're trying to get a price list together. I'm going to be picking up another newer one this week that we are going to get running for a customer and may have to end up buying while we figure out what we are going to do with the TD427.

  13. M92PV4UJunior Member#13

    Current plan is to let this TD427 sit idle and set up an ebay search for a complete TD427.

  14. thepumpguyscSenior Member#14

    I thought I mighta had one, but no-go.. Good luck with your search..

  15. M92PV4UJunior Member#15

    thepumpguysc said: I thought I mighta had one, but no-go.. Good luck with your search.. Click to expand... Thank-you.

  16. Welder DaveExpert#16

    What about doing an engine swap if the generator is in good shape? Might be easier being a generator.

  17. M92PV4UJunior Member#17

    Welder Dave said: What about doing an engine swap if the generator is in good shape? Might be easier being a generator. Click to expand... To tell the truth, I don't know too much about generator engine swaps. I've never had the engine pulled from a big generator like this and don't really know what the requirements would be.

  18. Welder DaveExpert#18

    I think it would be easier than on equipment because the engine is out in the open with no frame or anything else to deal with. Just need to align the crankshaft with the generator but might be able to use a HD coupler instead of direct bolted. There is a Continental engine shop here but I doubt they would have anything that far back. They work on a lot old Lincoln welders.

  19. M92PV4UJunior Member#19

    Welder Dave said: I think it would be easier than on equipment because the engine is out in the open with no frame or anything else to deal with. Just need to align the crankshaft with the generator but might be able to use a HD coupler instead of direct bolted. There is a Continental engine shop here but I doubt they would have anything that far back. They work on a lot old Lincoln welders. Click to expand... I need to figure out the hp & torque requirements at 1800 rpm.

  20. Welder DaveExpert#20

    I don't think that should be too hard to find or figure out. Would think Continental would still have specs. for older engines.

Reply