Would anyone have the part number for the (2) Lift Assist Spring gas Shock Support to Raise Cab. I can't seem to find the part on the Cat site when i search any of the following words for my serial number. (Gas, Shock, Lift, Spring, Cab) I found 4959214 495-9214 CAT Lift Assist Spring gas Shock Support, but unsure this is the corrct part for the 299D2 I Lifted cab up to access the hydraulics today and when I was lowering, it lost all gas and the cab came crashing down. Lucky my hands and feet where out of the way or they would have been cut off. I guess I'll need to replace the (2) Caterpillar Lift Spring As-gas Shock Support. In the past it was somewhat hard to lift cab up and you had to muscle it up, but was always easy to lower. Thanks!
299D2 Caterpillar Lift Assist Spring gas Shock Support (Replacement) to Raise Cab
Started by uglyguy30 replies
uglyguyNew Member#1 ahartSenior Member#2 Serial number required for accurate information
uglyguyNew Member#3 Model - 2018 Cat 299D2 XHP SERIAL NUMBER: DX203342
NigeLegend#4 Item 21 on the attached. 418-5941, Spring - Gas. Strange that they are included in the Cab Door Gp when they are nothing to do with the door. The only thing I can think of is that the same strut may be used on another model as a gas strut to hold open a door.
uglyguyNew Member#5 Nigel, Thanks for the info.
- Do these struts go out often. I was surprise the strut completely failed, when lowering the cab. I was power washing the underside of the cab., so uncertain if I got the struts wet? Would that cause the struts to fail.
- When working properly, should the cab raise up effortless? I bought the 299D2 used with 500 hours on it and it has always been a struggle to raise the cab. Almost takes two people to lift the cab in the air. I'm including the attached pictures for others that may need replacements struts for a 299D2. $129 (Each) on Ebay $235 (Each) From the Cat Store
heymccallSenior Member#6 Nige said: Item 21 on the attached. 418-5941, Spring - Gas. Strange that they are included in the Cab Door Gp when they are nothing to do with the door. The only thing I can think of is that the same strut may be used on another model as a gas strut to hold open a door. Click to expand... Sorta makes sense, as the 418-5905 is in the Open Rops cab arraignment. And, adding glass and door would make the cab heavier, requiring more lift.
uglyguyNew Member#7 Found this Aftermarket Replacement Spring Assembly on Ebay (Pictured Below) $69. Unsure how much power it has or to trust that it has the same power. Pretty big savings if it is the same thing. The Seller Claims it fits CAT: 216, 216B, 226, 226B, 228, 232,232B, 236, 242, 242B, 246, 246C, 247, 248, 252, 256C, 257, 262, 267, 267B, 268B, 272D, 277, 277B, 277C, 277C2, 279C, 279C2, 287, 289C, 297C, 299C, 299D Specs: Cylinder Diameter: 1.1 in, Length: 35.75 in Seller States it Replaces Part Number: 1532682
NigeLegend#8 1532682 doesn’t update to 418-5941.
uglyguyNew Member#9 The Cat website states that part number 418-5941 is compatible with the following Skid Steers 226D3 232D3 226B3 239D3 272D3 XE 299D3 XE 299D3 272D3 249D3 239D 242B 242B3 242D 242D3 246D 246D3 247B 247B3 249D 252B 257B 257B3 257D 257D3 259D 259D3 262D 262D3 268B 272D 272D XHP 272D2 272D2 XHP 277C2 277D 279C2 279D 279D3 287D 289D 289D3 297D 297D XHP 297D2 297D2 XHP 299C 299D 299D XHP 299D2 299D2 XHP 216B 216B3 226B 226D 232B 232D 236B 236B3 236D 236D3 I'll go ahead and order the ones on ebay for $69 (Each) and will report back how they fit and work.
NigeLegend#10 By any chance did the eBay seller happen to mention that 153-2682 and its mate 153-2683 are RH & LH respectively.? Machines up to and including the very early 299D models (HCL & NLC-prefix) call for 1 of each Part Number. I think the change of gas strut Part Number could be something to do with the cab on later machines being a bit heavier than the earlier models.
uglyguyNew Member#11 Nige, The Ebay seller did not mention any reference to a mate, nor could I find a mate on the Cat site. I maybe missing something? Attached Pictures #1 &2 (Below) from the cat websit, shows a reference #20 for the left and right side of the cab. 418-5941 Gas Spring Assembly (Refrence #20) Cat does state that this part is compatable with Model - 2018 Cat 299D2 XHP SERIAL NUMBER: DX203342 Thanks!
NigeLegend#12 Yes, but you're looking at your particular Serial Number, and Qty 2 of 418-5941 are the recommended struts. On newer models like yours the callout is two struts the same Part Number. On older models the struts are handed left (153-2682) & right (153-2683). The 153-2682 P/N is a standard strut, the 152-2683 P/N is a "locking" strut.
uglyguyNew Member#13 Got It! The seller says it fits a 299 not a 299D2. Probably won't work. If not I'll send it back. Thanks again Nigel for the explanation!
NigeLegend#14 All the information to which I have access makes no connection between the older & newer numbers, thus inferring they are in some way different. That doesn't necessarily mean the older P/N won't physically fit on your machine though.
uglyguyNew Member#15 I cancelled the order for the 153-2682 that fits a 299 Cat and ordered the correct 418-5941 Gas Spring Assembly to fit a 299D2 Cat. Thanks for bring this to my attention!
TRexDirtNew Member#16 I have a 299D and my left side piston to raise the cab is missing the bottom linkage piece, possible to buy the correct end for like $10-20 instead of spending $200+ for new spring? I tried looking on CAT but looks like they only sell it as one.
HarleyHappySuper User#17 Might want to post a picture of the piece you are referring to, from the other side. I have replaced so many gas struts and pistons over te years, I have a bin full of ball joint connectors and keeper pins, of all styles. If that’s what piece you are talking about?
NigeLegend#18 TRexDirt said: I have a 299D and my left side piston to raise the cab is missing the bottom linkage piece, possible to buy the correct end for like $10-20 instead of spending $200+ for new spring? I tried looking on CAT but looks like they only sell it as one. Click to expand... Post a machine Serial Number to help to search for the information you require.
NigeLegend#19 Are you looking for the yoke end of the gas strut, or one of the other pieces of fixing hardware for the connection at the lower end of the strut.?
TRexDirtNew Member#20 Ive attached a few photos, 2x are of the missing linkage piece, and one is the other side showing the piece I am missing, thanks for the help. If you have the extra piece would love to figure something out. GTC02317 View attachment IMG_7543.jpeg View attachment IMG_7542.jpeg