[email protected] be the easiest way to get me
2021 cat 299d3 idle issues
Started by Thegreatone63 replies
ValleywidellcNew Member#41 LlewisNew Member#42 nevinsteiner said: The spring was broken, as in the first pictures, and we replaced it. If anyone needs this spring for the injection pump, we have that one in stock. Click to expand... Would you be able to send me information we have a broken spring on a 299D3 also and can’t find a spring without a whole pump
ColdBlackWindJunior Member#43 Yes sir. I am sending a screenshot from my purchase. The vendor is shown at the top. It is on ebay.
LlewisNew Member#44 Thank you! I will look him up, I did send an email too.
ColdBlackWindJunior Member#45 I started to buy 2-3 when I bought mine but really didn’t think I would use them. I am going to install in the pump I took off and put it back on my machine.
ColdBlackWindJunior Member#46 Did you try nevinsteiner?
LlewisNew Member#47 ColdBlackWind said: Did you try nevinsteiner? Click to expand... Yes I messaged him
CP921New Member#48 Wilj said: So this is what has happened. View attachment 337131 Click to expand... What is the part number for that smaller gear
NigeLegend#49 CP921 said: What is the part number for that smaller gear Click to expand... Need a machine Serial Number to locate the Part Number of the gear.
ColdBlackWindJunior Member#50 Pump lock up?
CP921New Member#51 Nige said: Need a machine Serial Number to locate the Part Number of the gear. Click to expand... Bx900585, studs broke on pump, leaking diesel fuel behind pump. Haven’t taken any parts off yet, but judging by diesel fuel coming from that area, the pump is cracked or coming apart
NigeLegend#52 CP921 said: Bx900585, studs broke on pump, leaking diesel fuel behind pump. Haven’t taken any parts off yet, but judging by diesel fuel coming from that area, the pump is cracked or coming apart Click to expand... FIP Pump gear Part Number for that machine Serial Number is listed as 482-8472. Make sure that the engine is correctly timed, both at the flywheel end and the front timing gears, before you pull anything apart. IIRC this thread contains the instructions for both. When you get the front cover off you may find devastation in the timing gear train. I hope I'm wrong.
CP921New Member#53 Is there a way to find TDC without pulling the cover on the c 3.8. If not does anyone have the procedure on pulling the cover?
CP921New Member#54 And also, what makes you think that there may be damage on the timing gear train. There is no damage on the pump gear that is visible. Or the smaller gear inside of the cogs. Just want to replace them in case they were weakened. I’m hoping to get away with changing the pump the gear pump with the small gear. Oil change, then pour a gallon of oil in and let it drain out the bottom. Install a magnetized drain plug run it for five minutes then do an additional oil change. And replace fuel filters and drain fuel tank and run gallons of fuel through and drain.
NigeLegend#55 CP921 said: what makes you think that there may be damage on the timing gear train. Click to expand... Your comment "studs broke on pump". If that happens there would likely have been some degree of misaligment between the pump gear and the intermediate gear which could potentially damage other gears in the timing gear train. I also said - "I hope I'm wrong." CP921 said: Is there a way to find TDC without pulling the cover on the c 3.8. If not does anyone have the procedure on pulling the cover? Click to expand... If you read this thread right from the start you will become aware that a Cat dealer (of all people) messed up on an FIP pump replacement on an identical engine to yours by failing to time the engine correctly BEFORE removing the pump. Everything in the service manual indicates that both these procedures should be carried out before removing the FIP. Failure to do this might lead you into exactly the same hole that the OP of this thread found himself in through no fault of his own. See attached. Note that the procedure calls out to set #4 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke rather than the more normal #1 cylinder. I would suggest not to try to do this job half-assed otherwise it may come back and bite you in the proverbial. Tear the engine down as far as you need to in order to make sure it's right. My 2c. YMMV.
Simon CSuper User#56 Nige said: See attached. Note that the procedure calls out to set #4 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke rather than the more normal #1 cylinder. Click to expand... Noticed that when I read the R&I a while back. Wonder how many people were caughjt with the usual Top Dead Center of #1. I always wonder on something I haven't worked on if Number 1 is at the fan end or flywheel end. Deutz is famous for that and has fooled a lot of people. Good to have pointed this out for CP921. He may thank you later. Simon C
NigeLegend#57 TDC on #1 or #4 it makes no difference when the procedure tells you that if the marks on the timing gears do not line up when the marks on the flywheel end are correct then you should rotate the engine 360 deg and check again.
Simon CSuper User#58 Yes you are correct, the only problem is that sometimes people forget to see what the manufacturer calls number one, whether the fan end or flywheel end and then can't figure out how come the marks do not line up. But I do get your point, hopefully more people will read these postings and put it in their archives. Good Job. Simon C
ironman1953New Member#59 I have some used kubota V3800 engines , same as Cat V3.8 , if anybody needs some parts , the later engine has DEF , and early engine does not , the pumps are different , later engine pump PN is 1J508-50500
NigeLegend#60 Simon C said: Yes you are correct, the only problem is that sometimes people forget to see what the manufacturer calls number one, whether the fan end or flywheel end and then can't figure out how come the marks do not line up. But I do get your point, hopefully more people will read these postings and put it in their archives. Good Job. Simon C Click to expand... Yes, but with #1 and #4 pistons rising and falling together then if you have the TDC mark on the flywheel lined up but the timing mark on the FIP is not in alignment and #4 is at TDC then rotate the engine 360 deg then magically #1 will be at TDC. I'd love to have the valve cover off to see to which cylinder compression stroke the FIP timing mark actually corresponds.