Hello everyone thank you for taking your time in reading this. i have a 2021 299d3 that i am having a hell of a time with here are all my issues and what has been done start the tractor and sometimes it will idle perfect until I turn up the idle past 1700 rpm then it will drop and rev up and down by its self and the tractor will not move other times I start it up and immediately it will just rev by itself up and down. it will not stay at a constant idl. because of this it say major fuel leak and Dow def system has to be forced regen because con are not met. now what I have done. i have replaced the fuel cap lift pump blew out all fuel lines. replaced fuel filter. had a computer connected and the tech was saying everything is reading fine. tonight I installed another lift pump just in case the other one was bad. i started the machine it did its erratic idle then it came out of it. I let the machine warm up and very slowly turned up the idle. I got it to 1750 rpm and it was running fine… then all of a sudden it just completely shut off and now will not start. I was thinking a high pressure pump but I’m not sure. any help would be appreciated thank you. sn#DY904968
2021 cat 299d3 idle issues
Started by Thegreatone63 replies
ThegreatoneNew Member#1 NigeLegend#2 Thegreatone said: because of this it say major fuel leak Click to expand... Exactly what Codes are coming up on the screen.? Can you post a full list please. Thegreatone said: tonight I installed another lift pump just in case the other one was bad. Click to expand... You mean the electric priming pump.? That is only designed to fill the system after a filter change. FYI the lift/fuel transfer pump is located inside the HP fuel pump. From the list of what you have done so far the only other things that may be worth checking are to drain any water/sediment from the fuel tank and to check all the internal passages in the head of the fuel filter for blockages.
ThegreatoneNew Member#3 Thank you Nige for your response here is all active codes 3701-0 DPF status high (3) 1239-2 DPF #1 conditions not met for active regeneration 1239-1 engine fuel leakage 1 low most severe (3) yes I was talking about the pump on top of my filter I have replaced
NigeLegend#4 Thegreatone said: yes I was talking about the pump on top of my filter I have replaced Click to expand... That's not the lift/transfer pump in that case. What I suggested above regarding fuel tank and fuel filter head. If that does not produce the desired results then I fear you could be in for an HP pump replacement. Not cheap...........
ThegreatoneNew Member#5 Well I found what is wrong. I pulled off the fuel pressure regulator and found the spring is broken. Is there any company that just sells this part. I refuse to use cat and pay $3k for a new pump
NigeLegend#6 That pump is manufactured by Denso if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a Denso injection specialist.?
ThegreatoneNew Member#7 You are correct I talked to them last night and they said they cant sell any parts for this pump to the public because of the contract they have with kabota/cat. Which is completely stupid. So I have been looking since then for anything online even aftermarke. But I’m running into I have no part number.
NigeLegend#8 The only thing I can suggest is to superglue the pieces back together so that you can get some measurements such as....... Free length Number of coils Outside diameter Spring wire diameter With those measurements it ought to be possible (maybe not easily) to get hold of a spring with similar proprerties to the original. It's hard to tell but judging by the photos a valve spring of some sort might fit the bill.
ThegreatoneNew Member#9 That is what I was thinking…. I am going to go into business to make a kit for these and sell the hell out of them…
92U 3406Senior Member#10 I was told by someone I know a while back that the HP pump could be purchased thru a Kubota dealer cheaper than what Cat wants for it. Might be an avenue to try out.
JunkyardSenior Member#11 I got lucky on parts for a Mitsubishi in a Cat. Called a marine place for parts. With the Cat prefix the knew it was in a Cat machine. He did let it slip that a xxx prefix was the same and he’d gladly sell me parts for that. If you can figure out what marine generator or similar engine shared parts you might get lucky that way.
ChrissoJunior Member#12 Shouldn't be too hard to find a failed transfer pump with a good spring. Got a part number off the pump? Or a machine s/n? THIS one will be close.
thepumpguyscSenior Member#13 If in fact it is a Denso part, they’re pretty good at putting the part number on the part/s.. You’ll have to use some paint/gasket remover to get thru the paint.. a wire wheel will take the PN off.. Good luck
WiljNew Member#14 thepumpguysc said: If in fact it is a Denso part, they’re pretty good at putting the part number on the part/s.. You’ll have to use some paint/gasket remover to get thru the paint.. a wire wheel will take the PN off.. Good luck Click to expand... Was the part No. found? Think I have the same problem.
NigeLegend#15 Same comments as earlier still apply. Go looking closely at the sensor for a Denso Part Number. A judicious application of paint remover may be your friend. There is no breakdown of the Cat Part number for the complete fuel rail assembly anywhere. However this is a Kubota engoine and therefore maybe a Kubota dealer might offer up other possible solutions. For sure the KB price even for a complete rail assembly would be less than Cat.
WiljNew Member#16 Is there the nine CAT part number for the pump anywhere?
NigeLegend#17 Wilj said: Is there the nine CAT part number for the pump anywhere? Click to expand... With a machine Serial Number it should be easy enough to find that Part Number. TBH there ought to be a Denso Part Number on a plate on the pump somewhere. Let's face it they manufactured it for Cat.
WiljNew Member#18 A non part number was supposed to be. I can’t get access to the pump yet and have a guy looking at it for me
NigeLegend#19 Wilj said: A non part number was supposed to be. Click to expand... Sorry I have no idea what you mean by that. Do you have the Serial Number of the machine you are working on.?
WiljNew Member#20 Sorry. A part number which isn’t Cats. I.e Kubota as it’s a Kubota engine I believe? DX204524