My trailer is a 10 ton dually tandem axle flatbed tag trailer. I'm looking for 17.5" trailer tires and most seem to have long haul/OTR smooth tread patterns. My trailer gets low road use, but a fair amount of off road or wet, muddy, sometimes snowy roads so I want tires that will give decent traction in these conditions. It's not hard to find 16" trailer tires with block pattern tread, but that seems like a very rare option in 17.5" size. Anyone else in this situation where you need a bit better tread for stopping capability?
17.5" tires for off road/poor road conditions
Started by materthegreater24 replies
materthegreaterSuper User#1 materthegreaterSuper User#2 I did find this option:
Truck ShopSuper User#3 materthegreaterSuper User#4 I've heard some say not to put a drive tire on a trailer. What's your thought on that?
Truck ShopSuper User#5 materthegreater said: I've heard some say not to put a drive tire on a trailer. What's your thought on that? Click to expand... Depends on how many axles and open or closed shoulder tread design. Open means tread lugs have open notch to edge of tread. Normally there isn't much issue with two axle trailers because those tend to pivot in tight turns unlike a three axle which 1st & 3rd axle sweep/drag tires in tight turns. For years I put used drive tires 22.5's in center position on three axle trailers because the center pivots. Used drive runouts lasted well in that position--but because of tread pattern not so good on F & R axles. A two axle won't be that much of a issue especially in dirt because the ground gives, unlike asphalt. Closed shoulder tires should be used for front/rear axles on 3 axle trailers.
materthegreaterSuper User#6 That makes sense. Are the casings constructed differently for specific trailer tires versus all position?
Truck ShopSuper User#7 materthegreater said: That makes sense. Are the casings constructed differently for specific trailer tires versus all position? Click to expand... If anything it would be sidewall, it all depends on casing specifications, normally with 16 ply casing it won't be a issue.
materthegreaterSuper User#8 Truck Shop said: If anything it would be sidewall, it all depends on casing specifications, normally with 16 ply casing it won't be a issue. Click to expand... Ok thanks. Even 14 ply would be more than enough weight capacity.
materthegreaterSuper User#9 The tire dealer really didn't want to put anything other than a trailer tire on it. So I went with what he recommended. It'll be interesting to see how they do on a slick muddy dirt road, or a hard frozen snow packed road...
HarleyHappySuper User#10 Had the same type of tire, made by Armstrong, actually drove or pulled nice and had decent if not great traction.
materthegreaterSuper User#11 They came in just in time...
cfherrmanSenior Member#12 I've had a variety of tires on trailers and in muddy conditions I tend to pay attention to the truck really lol
BC Placer goldSenior Member#13 Same, had some extremely greasy steep roads to deal with. It always surprises me the trailer just seems to track along….
materthegreaterSuper User#14 Tracking is probably less of an issue than braking.
BC Placer goldSenior Member#15 materthegreater said: Tracking is probably less of an issue than braking. Click to expand... Yes I understand; especially on snow. On mud I find tires can lock and build trench/‘barrier’ chock of mud in front of tires.
cfherrmanSenior Member#16 Electric trailer brakes are always broken for me
Deere500aSenior Member#17 Amazon quick look typed in 17.5 ply16 drive tire.
Truck ShopSuper User#18 Shandong Linglong and Chaoyang.
materthegreaterSuper User#19 The tire shop won't sell those cheap tires.
cfherrmanSenior Member#20 Ironheads are excellent cheap tires