Good day everyone, Hope all is well. I have a 1989 Champion grader with a Cummins Black Hodge engine. The old girl is getting diesel into the engine oil. I just did a oil change on it filled it up to the full mark on the dip stick. I used the machine twice for maybe 30 mins and then it sat for a month. I was about to use it yesterday and checked the oil and now its 2 notches above the full mark and the viscosity of the oil is like water. Is there a solenoid valve stuck open after shut down to leak that amount of diesel into the engine? Seals on fuel pump? Thanks for the help fellas
1989 Champion diesel in engine oil
Started by l3cam20 replies
l3camNew Member#1 Welder DaveExpert#2 Might help to list what model of grader and what engine it has.
cuttin edgeSenior Member#3 Blackwood Hodge was the dealer. My 730 was the same. I think there were 3 different cummins depending on model
l3camNew Member#4 Its a 730a I have a number off the engine 019682530 if that helps. Ill attach some pics as well looks to me like a fuel rail there is two little filters on the rail. Thanks Cutting edge you had problems with fuel getting into the engine? How did ya get it fixed
cuttin edgeSenior Member#5 l3cam said: Its a 730a I have a number off the engine 019682530 if that helps. Ill attach some pics as well looks to me like a fuel rail there is two little filters on the rail. Thanks Cutting edge you had problems with fuel getting into the engine? How did ya get it fixed Click to expand... Sorry I meant that my 730 was sold by Blackwood Hodge. Only a guess but perhaps a leaking injector. Im not sure if it's possible for fuel to get into the base through the pump housing or not.
Truck ShopSuper User#6 Cummins 8.3--my first suspect is primer/lift pump.
thepumpguyscSenior Member#7 That’s a Bosch 6A pump.. How does it start.?? Hard, skips and real smokie.?? I see the supply pump port is blocked off on the inj. pump.. What r u using for a supply pump.?? Electric.?? Any changes with it.? Like replaced recently.?
l3camNew Member#8 Thanks guys on the info. Truck shop is the primer and lift pump easy to replace? Do they seize up and get stuck open? Pumpguy starts good barely any smoke. Not sure on the supply pump going to have to take a look. Would it possibly be gravity fed? I bought it off a local farmer they like to Jimmy rig up in my neck of the woods haha. I honestly bought it did a check over on all fluids jumped in it and used it dont use it much but always a good runner when I use it.
thepumpguyscSenior Member#9 The Bosch 6A pump requires an inlet pressure of 14.5-25. Psi.. Anything more than that and the fuel will blow past the pumping plungers and end up in the oil.. If the supply pump is electric, and doesn’t rely on a cam lobe to run it, I would check the outlet pressure to make sure it’s in the parameters stated above. If it’s not smoking or skipping, I doubt you have an injector problem.. I just looked at your pictures again.. it looks like you’re running 2 overflow valves.!!! It looks like the banjo bolt in the left hand side (inlet?) is a pressure fitting.? And the 1 on the right (return?) is also a pressure fitting.? There should only be one, and it goes on the return side..
thepumpguyscSenior Member#10 U could always turn the fuel off after using it.. but.. u would have to remember to turn it back on BEFORE turning the key..
Welder DaveExpert#11 It looks to have a pretty good external leak. Could a bad seal or something cause the fuel in oil issue as well as the external leak? Also curious why it has the Blackwood Hodge tag on the engine, engine was rebuilt? The oldest the grader could be is 1984 and tag is for late 1989.
l3camNew Member#12 Thansk for the great info pumpguy I will check all that out and let ya know. The inlet pressure fitting that shouldn't be there what happens when its there do you think it will over pressure with the pressure fitting on the inlet? Are you talking about this fitting circled in the picture?
thepumpguyscSenior Member#13 Yes.. that banjo bolt..it’s supposed to be a 1way pressurizing screw..if that line IS the inlet,(?) idk how it’s running.. unless someone gutted the bolt.??
Welder DaveExpert#14 My 730A has the same hose but I'm not sure about the rest of the fitting or the banjo bolt. I'd have to look when I go out to the property.
alrmanJunior Member#15 I might throw my 2 bobs worth in here. In the pics I see
- a mechanical priming pump (red)
- the supply fuel line going to the rear of the injector pump (green)
- a fuel return line - that looks like factory original (item #22 described as return banjo) re the fuel getting in to oil
- the lift pump could be at fault
- does this engine have a glow plug at the intake manifold? These can cause the problem
- if neither of these fix the issue - the injector pump is most likely the cause If there is any issue with injectors there would be obvious engine exhaust smoke.
thepumpguyscSenior Member#16 GOOD EYE alrman.!! The supply pump can definitely be a problem.. The return line should have a spring loaded banjo bolt.. So check the other banjo bolt.. that one looks like a spring loaded banjo bolt.?? (Inlet line)
cuttin edgeSenior Member#17 I don't think they have glow plugs. Mine had a cold start bottle
Welder DaveExpert#18 I have an ether system on mine. Don't think glow plugs were ever an option. Not sure if the ether injection works or not. Machine starts right up at -20C. I'm not using it in any colder weather than that.
l3camNew Member#19 Hey fellas, Alrman thanks for the great info. I took the lift pump off and I think that is the culprit it smells like diesel right when I took it off the engine you could smell it. I am just waiting on the new pump to install it and ill let everyone know the out come. I wonder if I can leak test the lift pump if I remove the pump out of the block remove the high pressure line and cap it keep the supply line attached to see if the pump pushrod seals are leaking? Does anyone have a break down of the lift pump? Can the be rebuilt? Yes the engine doesnt have glow plugs it has a cold start as well Thanks fellas and have a great weekend
thepumpguyscSenior Member#20 They way we use to do it, if I’m remembering it correctly is: Remove the inlet & outlet lines. Remove the pump from the engine. Plug off the outlet side and put air into the inlet side and dunk the plunger end into some water and look for bubbles. Or spray the plunger end with a soap and water solution..& again, look for bubbles.