DieselDialogue

1466 Koehring

Started by 95zIV62 replies

  1. insleyboyNew Member#2

    Strange looking boom. I ran a 1066, saw a 1266 in Trenton Mich once. But that 1466 looks like they had it all made up for the extreme length for sure.The 1266 boom was so heavy, the bucket was downsized as to get any cycle time on deep digs. We had a 3500 Insley that had a main boom with a standard stick that they had some company make a long stick out of it. 11 foot was added to a 15 foot original stick. Made the machine freaky looking and the bucket was really downsized to even get it out of a cut. I've never see a stick and boom like that 1466. The only thing that I have ever seen close to that is a Priestman. They have one here in South East Michigan that has 75 feet of reach with a 1 yard bucket. The stick has a cable winch like a drag line that gives it super power in the muck.

  2. DarrylMuellerNew Member#3

    There were several 1466 here in the 80's I was on a site that they were digging out fall with it was like a 7 ft wide? bucket and they had a 3 ft wide? bucket on the back to dig the actual pipe grade. It must have made a real impact cause I can remember real good. Yes the Dorfman rig looks like they added to the stick and boom. Didn't they have some big American's or Northwests that cable hoes that were digging like 45 -50 ft' back in the 60's when the big sewer work was going.

  3. insleyboyNew Member#4

    I remember those buckets. A sewer contractor here mounted them on 1066 machines on long grade cuts. Looked like the bucket grew another on the backside. Have not seen one in quite a few years. Northwest had a Gigantic cable excavator that could dig I would have to say 50 feet deep like you said for sure. Maybe some older Cable diggers can elaborate on those monsters from the 60's that I remember seeing in my teen years.

  4. PD Mech SteveNew Member#5

    Not sure if Dorfman has more than one of these 1466's, but I had the opportunity to help dismantle and load a 1466 of theirs a couple years ago. I worked with their mechanic Steve (can't remember last name). Just 2 of us (plus crane operator and drivers) had it all apart, loaded and moved 25 miles to the storage area and tracks back on in 4 days. One track assy per truck. One truck each for the boom and stick (90' in all). Another for the boom & stick cylinders. Another for counter weight & bucket. And one more for house and understructure. I think thats it. Had some pics but can't locate them now. Definately a fun and educational experience.

  5. reddot556New Member#6

    i have worked with them a few times. we did not use them for digging though. we used them to set 96" 12 ft long joints of concrete pipe.hell of a lot cheaper and faster than renting a big crane

  6. Clawed BacksterNew Member#7

    Saw a 1466 on a road widening job between Vegas and Laughlin in the early '90's. I was driving that stretch 3 times a week back then. They hauled it to the site in pieces, put it together, then never used it. It sat there for quite a while, then they took it apart and hauled it out!?

  7. menaceNew Member#8

    In the 90's there was a 1466 at Morehead city N.C. with a Drott50 as it's helper! At night they parked the Drott "under" the boom of the 1466. It was quite a sight, momma hugging the baby! I have a picture somewhere, I'll look for it . I ran a 666 and a 1066 years ago, the air system was quite a trip if you weren't used to it!

  8. Cat 328d lcrNew Member#9

    JRCRUZ Corp out of Staten Island NY had one. They sold it to a guy up in Canada... It was sitting out on a farm in NJ last year- not sure if it's still there. I have pics of it with the boom on through a fence if anyone wants to see

  9. TonyNew Member#10

    Cat 328, YES!!! PLEASE post the picture(s)! EE Cruz used to hire us to disassemble that 1466 when they were doing a deep sewer cut job in Queens around 2000. That machine was a sight to see, sitting in the middle of Bell Blvd. Their 1166E was on the job as well. I knew they had sold it, but I thought it went to Texas. I'm pretty sure they replaced it with a Komatsu PC1100LC-6 from Binder. I could be wrong, as this was a few years ago. Please post the 1466 pics. Thanks, Tony

  10. gr79New Member#11

    1466 in oxford mich Came across an ad a while back showing this 1466 for sale. So big it shows up on a satellite pic. I did drive by to see it. It looks like the stick has been changed out to a shorty. http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=24223808&encType=1 Was curious because when the middle portion of I-696 was being created in the 80's, i thought i saw a similar huge machine working. Biggest excavator i've seen in these parts ever. Will never forget the dual stacks, but couldn't recall the make or model machine. Am not in the business, just love watching since first seeing a cable hoe digging new basements back in the late 50's. About 10 years ago i unbelievably met the operator at the local pub, who ran it back then. Said its retired at a gravel pit. Wouldn't ya know it i forgot the make and model again. I do remember he said they had to replace engines like overnight once. Seem to recall mention of air controls too. Will always wonder if this pic could be of one of the great machines that helped make my crosstown commute so much more pleasant and safe. I see a 1266 off I-94 near Mt Clemens, Mich working, but the I-696 one was bigger if my memory serves correctly.

  11. Cat 328d lcrNew Member#12

    Heres a pic, the others are pretty much the same but zoomed in

  12. tomcat1191New Member#13

    gR79 that was a 1466 on i-696 and the one you see off of 94 and hall road is Ric-Mans 1266 that used to be owned by ADAMO awhile back. I only now this cause my old man had the 1266 when it was brand new and when ADAMO got in trouble with underground they sold it and that's were she went too. Kinda funny he had it at ADAMO when it was new and when he worked a Ric-Man for a short time he sadi she was all wore out. And yes the air over hydraulics is what he was telling you about two toggle switches on the joy sticks to operate it. The old man said that them old Detroit Diesels just screamed all day long.

  13. tomcat1191New Member#14

    And it was Holloways 1466. Today it is now Waterland well I think it is. Its been some time since I seen them around. I think the last time was metro airport.

  14. jetxssNew Member#15

    Hi I am looking for Koehring 1466 1266 and 1066 machines and parts I do not want to see anymore of these beautiful machine to go to the scrap yard in

  15. jetxssNew Member#16

    Cat 328d lcr said: Heres a pic, the others are pretty much the same but zoomed in Click to expand... I am interested in buying this machine if it's still around so if you could help me out with owners contact info it much appreciated I don't want to see any more of them go to the scrap yard

  16. Cat 328d lcrNew Member#17

    jetxss said: I am interested in buying this machine if it's still around so if you could help me out with owners contact info it much appreciated I don't want to see any more of them go to the scrap yard Click to expand... It's sold to Canada already

  17. gr79New Member#18

    Koering 1166,1266D pics Guys, i have to correct a previous post. The 1266 is a 1166 (I-94 loc) The 1466 is a 1266D (gravel pit) some pics

  18. gr79New Member#19

    koering 1266d picset2 more of a classic

  19. gr79New Member#20

    1266D picset3 bucket, etc

Reply