Okay Okay.... I know I said that I would never do it again. Another auction Backhoe But I called and supposedly talked to the owner before buying it at auction. Sight unseen but with videos of it in operation..... So after paying another grand for delivery. It would not start - had to be cable winched on. New batteries - Oil light will not go off. Is there a place to check actual pressure with a gauge? The bucket controls will not move. Finally got the bucket raised a few inches to get it off the trailer. No tilt - Controls stuck on the side by side lever movement. The throttle can not be adjusted. Stuck at a low idle. Lastly, it started spewing oil from the front of the engine... May father is livid stating I should sue the auction.... Let's move on. How do I un-stick the throttle and bucket controls? On the good side - the motor din't sound bad...
580 SK Stuck Controls - Throttle and bucket controls - Oil leak - When will I learn?
Started by Joe Friday15 replies
Joe FridayJunior Member#1 DiggerAfriqueNew Member#2 The linkage/piston was stuck on my SK .I disconnected the rod and used a spanner to move it slowly,eventually it freed up nicely.
DiggerAfriqueNew Member#3 If the throttle is free on the pump end ,most probably rust on the linkage under the floor .Rust penetrant should free it up .
Joe FridayJunior Member#4 Anybody know where to tap into the block to get an accurate oil pressure reading? What size of threaded gauge is needed?
DustAndRayNew Member#5 I wouldn't run that engine again until you figure out that oil leak and check the real pressure. To check it, you can usually find the oil pressure sending unit near the oil filter, unscrew it, and put a mechanical gauge in its place. For all the stuck controls, it's almost always rusted linkages. Get a can of good penetrating oil and just soak everything that's supposed to move. Let it sit, then try to work them free by hand. Sounds like a lot, but just tackle one problem at a time. You'll get it sorted out.
TinkererSenior Member#6 Remove the oil pressure gauge sending unit. It's usually is a standard 1/8 inch pipe thread.
Joe FridayJunior Member#7 I figure an update is due. I did find narrow rims to fit on the trailer... The oil pressure is 60 psi cold at idle 50 hot. I finally got the bucket control mechanism out. Both oil light bearings are stuck solid. I found new ones at $50 each. Waiting for them to arrive. The floor is gone of course. The locking mechanism for the rear wheels is stuck. I applied firm pressure and popped the RH brake line. Anybody know what size Line and fitting is used? I would like to have one ready when I go to repair it. I still have to get the throttle loosened up. Trying to get the floor plate off. All clips removed, but how do you clear the differential lock? The engine oil leak is the sending unit. The front steering cylinder is blowing oil out. Parts on order. Any good advice now? You guys are great! I just need more nice days to work on it...
Joe FridayJunior Member#8 Also forgot. The front universal joint is bad. But that is a fairly easy fix. Also, Does anybody have the oil filter numbers for the hydraulic and transaxle oil filters. I did not get any in the full maintenance filter kit I purchased....
Joe FridayJunior Member#9 Guys, I am stuck again. I removed all the bolts on the floor plate to get to the throttle and differential lock which are still not working properly. I can not move the floor plate beyond the tee pedal on the differential lock. Being rust so solidly I can not remove the pedal from underneath. Should I just go ahead and cut the floor plate out in pieces? Or does anybody have a trick?
Joe FridayJunior Member#10 Well... Cut the floor out. Replaced the brake lines. Bought new bearings for the bucket control. Find and soldered the leaking oil cooler. Replaced the broken throttle cable. Got the throttle linkage freed up... Add and extra helper spring. Cleaned Cleaned and cleaned. Replaced the floor. I am sure there were other things, but it is now in the condition that it was advertised to be in when I bought it. Still need to figure out how to free up the swivel on the seat - or just swap it from my other Case 580. Still needs pins and bushings.... But at least it operates now. Thanks for everyone help!
AU.CASEJunior Member#11 Joe Friday said: Okay Okay.... I know I said that I would never do it again. Click to expand... Pictures please, before and after !
Joe FridayJunior Member#12 Well it is put back together now, But I can snap a few pictures when I go back down.... My small acreage is 1 hr away...
comm2679New Member#13 Joe Friday said: Well... Cut the floor out. Replaced the brake lines. Bought new bearings for the bucket control. Find and soldered the leaking oil cooler. Replaced the broken throttle cable. Got the throttle linkage freed up... Add and extra helper spring. Cleaned Cleaned and cleaned. Replaced the floor. I am sure there were other things, but it is now in the condition that it was advertised to be in when I bought it. Still need to figure out how to free up the swivel on the seat - or just swap it from my other Case 580. Still needs pins and bushings.... But at least it operates now. Thanks for everyone help! Click to expand... Did you weld in new floor panels? My floor is rusted out as well and I’ve been scratching my head about how to repair it.
Joe FridayJunior Member#14 I was lucky enough to have a rubber floor mat to use as a pattern to make the new floor boards. I made them in 2 pieces front and back. This allowed me to flex them enough to get them in. I retained the bolt in plates and re installed them. Even if I had to re make those plates. I cut out what I could and repainted the floor with POR 15. So the bolts in the access plates hold them in place. I was going to weld them back in - but It wasn't needed, since they are retained by the bolts For some reason I can't find the pictures I took....
Rocky38New Member#15 Joe Friday said: Okay Okay.... I know I said that I would never do it again. Another auction Backhoe But I called and supposedly talked to the owner before buying it at auction. Sight unseen but with videos of it in operation..... So after paying another grand for delivery. It would not start - had to be cable winched on. New batteries - Oil light will not go off. Is there a place to check actual pressure with a gauge? The bucket controls will not move. Finally got the bucket raised a few inches to get it off the trailer. No tilt - Controls stuck on the side by side lever movement. The throttle can not be adjusted. Stuck at a low idle. Lastly, it started spewing oil from the front of the engine... May father is livid stating I should sue the auction.... Let's move on. How do I un-stick the throttle and bucket controls? On the good side - the motor din't sound bad... Click to expand... Auction backhoe, huh? Stuck controls are probably just rusted linkages, soak 'em in PB Blaster and work 'em free. Oil light plus front leak? Check pressure with a mechanical gauge, but sounds like a front seal or pump. Don't sue, just start wrenching. At least it runs!
Joe FridayJunior Member#16 Rocky38 said: Auction backhoe, huh? Stuck controls are probably just rusted linkages, soak 'em in PB Blaster and work 'em free. Oil light plus front leak? Check pressure with a mechanical gauge, but sounds like a front seal or pump. Don't sue, just start wrenching. At least it runs! Click to expand... Uhm, It took a lot more than just soaking. New bearings on the control shaft as the old ones took a press to remove them. The oil cooler was leaking - the local radiator shop refused to work on it. Luckily I have fixed radiators for years - I just didn't think I had the time. They forced me to have the time. And it didn't run when I got it. It had to be winched on by the transport company.... The video and talking with the farmer owner - everything worked..... It took all of my spare time to get it functional from Feb to August....