On my 1995 18845c. I was pushing snow and my right side quit driving no noises rattles left side is fine check the linkage it’s working fine WHATS next how do I find the problem Thank You
1845c — Other Earthmoving Equipment
Started by Billfish17 replies
BillfishNew Member#1 HarleyHappySuper User#2 Did you break a chain?
BillfishNew Member#3 Chains look good
heymccallSenior Member#4 There are 3 chains. B chains can be seen by looking straight down each inspection cover. The A chain most likely failed. Look again in the front cover.
BillfishNew Member#5 Chains are fine
HarleyHappySuper User#6 Then I guess the next step would be to verify the right side drive is not working, or the splined shaft has been sheared off.
kshansenSenior Member#7 Billfish said: Chains are fine Click to expand... All three chains on that side? Have you tried running it a little with covers off to see what if anything is moving? DO NOT touch anything inside chain case with motor running in chain case! Watch the small sprocket 11 while moving the control lever to see if it moves or wiggles about. Does the motor lug down any when you try to move the machine? Just trying to be sure the locking pin is not engaging the sprocket number 25 in heymccall's break-down. Spent a lot of time working on a 1845C but retired in 2015 so its been a few years since I touched one!
heymccallSenior Member#8 Machine off. Left wheels chocked. Jack RH side up in the air. Lower the seat bar (arms). Now, physically turn either RH tire. And the results are?
kshansenSenior Member#9 heymccall said: Machine off. Left wheels chocked. Jack RH side up in the air. Lower the seat bar (arms). Now, physically turn either RH tire. And the results are? Click to expand... Very good idea. I guess too many times I don't stop to think the person I'm replying to may not be a mechanic with years of experience. My bad! Glad "heymccall" made those suggestions!
BillfishNew Member#10 As soon as I can get on level ground I’ll do that Thank You
BillfishNew Member#11 kshansen said: All three chains on that side? Have you tried running it a little with covers off to see what if anything is moving? DO NOT touch anything inside chain case with motor running in chain case! Watch the small sprocket 11 while moving the control lever to see if it moves or wiggles about. Does the motor lug down any when you try to move the machine? Just trying to be sure the locking pin is not engaging the sprocket number 25 in heymccall's break-down. Spent a lot of time working on a 1845C but retired in 2015 so its been a few years since I touched one! Click to expand... With motor running I look at the chains and tried to move nothing in there is moving nothing is broken in the linkage with set off I could see it moving
BillfishNew Member#12 I owe everyone a apology it is the short chain that broke or came off Thank You everyone
kshansenSenior Member#13 Billfish said: I owe everyone a apology it is the short chain that broke or came off Thank You everyone Click to expand... Been a few years since I was inside the 1845C but seems I recall that small chain is not that easy to see. Especially if you don't have the ROPS cage moved forward!
HarleyHappySuper User#14 It’s even harder to replace. Had to put a master link in and the clip gave me fits.
kshansenSenior Member#15 HarleyHappy said: It’s even harder to replace. Had to put a master link in and the clip gave me fits. Click to expand... That got me thinking and I had to check my service notes on the 1845C we had from 1989 till I retired in 2015(it was still there at least a year later). No where in my notes does it mention replacing that chain to the hydraulic motors! The chains to the axles many times but not the ones to the motors! That machine was abused for over 26 years at the quarry!
heymccallSenior Member#16 I had 4 1845c machines. Pretty much changed every chain, some twice, in 25+ years. And, umpteen sprockets, but, we ran over the tire grousers.
HarleyHappySuper User#17 Wait till you’re tooling along and the brake comes on. All sorts of stuff breaks, sometimes you!
kshansenSenior Member#18 HarleyHappy said: Wait till you’re tooling along and the brake comes on. All sorts of stuff breaks, sometimes you! Click to expand... I guess I was lucky as among all the problems with Case Skid-steers never had that happen! Did have "fun" with an operator somehow ripped the locking pin tubes out of the frame on an older machine, think it was one of the original 1845's(no letter) machines. Think I wrote about that a while back. Glad we had a good welder and he/we came up with a way to not have to strip the machine down to the bare frame to do that fix!