Hi all I faced a problem with a 6WG-260 Generation 1 transmission newly overhauled and I really need a help. We replace K2, Kr, K3, and K4, we checked K1, Kv and everything looks okay. We also replace the torque coverter with a used one because of the overheated marks on the old one. After starting the machine up and test it, we found the the Automatic shifting is not working all the time. Sometimes it will shift up to the sixth gear but will not down gears or reduce it 5th to 4th gear for example, so you should to change it manually to reduce gears. Sometimes it will shift from 2nd to 3rd and stuck up at the 3rd gear, even if you try to shift upward or downward, it will not shift on both Automatic and Manual. It will stuck up at the 3rd gear. The same also exactly happend at the 4th gear and few of times at the 2nd gear. During this the 3C or 39 or 3E codes shown on the display(just one code will show at time), when you totally stop the machine movement, the codes will disappear. When this problem happend, we noticed that if you move the selector N to F, it will show 6F not 2F as usual. Over one test , we drive it at uphill road ,then it start to reduce gears, 5th to 4th then to 3rd gear until the flat road then it stuck up at the third gear. The display screen start to show NN when shift from forward to reverse gear, it will not select forward or reverse gear, just will blink NN when this problem happend. We changed the gear selector, TCU(from another truck), output sensor, and turbine & internal sensor. We also found that the kickdown switch wires not connected so we connected it. We checked transmission harness and it seems okay. Could the torque converter be the reason?or the TCU, I can send a video, I hope it clear enough. Many Thanks
6WG-260 transmission , Terex TA-30
Started by Yazid Asaad21 replies
Yazid AsaadNew Member#1 BigbertJunior Member#2 Never mind, Yazid. We will sort it out.
Vetech63Senior Member#3 Did you run the AEB calibration? Usually on the Terex you can use the AEB switch at the wiring plug in near the TCU (it depends on whether your TCU has that capability). Some models the AEB calibration is done through the monitor, or by a laptop.
Yazid AsaadNew Member#4 Vetech63 said: Did you run the AEB calibration? Usually on the Terex you can use the AEB switch at the wiring plug in near the TCU (it depends on whether your TCU has that capability). Some models the AEB calibration is done through the monitor, or by a laptop. Click to expand... Vetech63 said: Did you run the AEB calibration? Usually on the Terex you can use the AEB switch at the wiring plug in near the TCU (it depends on whether your TCU has that capability). Some models the AEB calibration is done through the monitor, or by a laptop. Click to expand... Yes . I run the AEB and the display shown okay, all the clutch es groub been calibrated. The problem now in the upshift not working all the time , especially on the downhill roads. Also the down shift not work probably on both automatic and manual. What should I check now?
Yazid AsaadNew Member#5 Bigbert said: Never mind, Yazid. We will sort it out. Click to expand... For sure boss .
Vetech63Senior Member#6 Any fault codes displayed?
Yazid AsaadNew Member#7 Vetech63 said: Any fault codes displayed? Click to expand... When the problem start , the codes 3C ,3E or 39 shown up in the display for a short time.
Vetech63Senior Member#8 3C Logical error at output speed input. Check electrical cable from TCU to sensor 3E Output speed zero doesnt fit to other speed signals. Check electrical cable from TCU to sensor, sensor gap, sensor signal 39 Logical error at internal speed input. Check electrical cable from TCU to sensor, sensor gap, and sensor operation. All of the codes above put your TCU into substitute clutch control or limp mode. It looks like the problem is more than likely electrical in nature. I have no experience on the TA 30's but do on the TA35's. On the 35's, Terex ran the wiring harness on the right side of the transmission up high, then down the back right side, right next to the exhaust piping. I had several trucks that the exhaust pipe was rotting out and hot exhaust gases were directed right at the wire harness, which in turn burned that part of the harness up badly. The thing is you cannot see that part of the harness unless you actually remove the harness from its loop mounts and pull it back through the floor panel inside the cab. Its a pain in the ass but its what has to be done. I suggest you do this and inspect all the wiring by removing the wire from that black plastic protection loom.
Yazid AsaadNew Member#9 Vetech63 said: 3C Logical error at output speed input. Check electrical cable from TCU to sensor 3E Output speed zero doesnt fit to other speed signals. Check electrical cable from TCU to sensor, sensor gap, sensor signal 39 Logical error at internal speed input. Check electrical cable from TCU to sensor, sensor gap, and sensor operation. All of the codes above put your TCU into substitute clutch control or limp mode. It looks like the problem is more than likely electrical in nature. I have no experience on the TA 30's but do on the TA35's. On the 35's, Terex ran the wiring harness on the right side of the transmission up high, then down the back right side, right next to the exhaust piping. I had several trucks that the exhaust pipe was rotting out and hot exhaust gases were directed right at the wire harness, which in turn burned that part of the harness up badly. The thing is you cannot see that part of the harness unless you actually remove the harness from its loop mounts and pull it back through the floor panel inside the cab. Its a pain in the ass but its what has to be done. I suggest you do this and inspect all the wiring by removing the wire from that black plastic protection loom. Click to expand... Thank you for the explanation. I already checked the harness by multimeter, everything looks okay. Then I connected output sensor by external wire to the cabin. And I do it for all sensors just in case. So we can exclude the harness for now. I noticed something that I should share it with you. I fit a multimeter on the the output speed sensor pins in the cabin to check the Hz reading. The reading vary between 0.2 k Hz to 2.5 Hz. When the shifting problem happen, the Hz reading is fixed at one. I mean the reading will be fixed at 1K Hz, the sensor reading is not right. I changed the sensor with used one from another truck. The same readings. So I think the problem is with the auto speed sensor reading or let's say it's in maybe it's inside the transmission. I would say maybe the k3-4 group moving a little bit, so the sensor reading it's not fixed or not right all the time. May the k3 big gear move close to the sensor and far away from the sensor, could that happened? I also noticed when we rebuild it is that the bearing number 37 in the attached picture move freely on the k3 shaft so I used bearing lock tide and tight the nut 39 very will to fix it more. What could make the output speed give wrong reading? Thank you
Vetech63Senior Member#10 Before we go any further, who rebuilt the transmission? Was it a reputable ZF rebuilder? The reason I ask is that the ZF transmissions are very specific on bearing preloads and rolling torques. Gears, shafts, drums all have a wear spec limit that they HAVE to meet to be reusable. I have a ZF rebuilder that has told me they have had transmissions fail on the dyno for excessive/ borderline wear limits. Yazid Asaad said: I already checked the harness by multimeter, everything looks okay Click to expand... If you are checking the wiring using continuity then you are only getting a connection. It doesn't necessarily mean the wire will carry the voltage needed. Even slight corrosion will make a difference. Yazid Asaad said: I noticed something that I should share it with you. I fit a multimeter on the the output speed sensor pins in the cabin to check the Hz reading. The reading vary between 0.2 k Hz to 2.5 Hz. When the shifting problem happen, the Hz reading is fixed at one. I mean the reading will be fixed at 1K Hz, the sensor reading is not right. Click to expand... I cant help you with this as I do not have parameters to check the sensors. Yazid Asaad said: I changed the sensor with used one from another truck. Click to expand... I know this seems to be a logical way to do troubleshooting but, it can also be a way to transfer issues from one truck/TCU to another. Every time you change a component the AEB will need to be rerun as the TCU has to calibrate it. Yazid Asaad said: May the k3 big gear move close to the sensor and far away from the sensor, could that happened? Click to expand... If the specified preload was too loose, yes. Yazid Asaad said: I also noticed when we rebuild it is that the bearing number 37 in the attached picture move freely on the k3 shaft so I used bearing lock tide and tight the nut 39 very will to fix it more. Click to expand... I'm positive that didn't meet spec. Im not sure if that specifically would cause your problem. Here is some advice going forward from here:
- If you are going to switch components from another truck to troubleshoot, you HAVE to run calibration with the AEB every time a component is changed.
- Mark the original components somehow and make sure, if they don't correct the problem after an AEB run, reinstall the original component back in its place.
- If your AEB run is finishing the calibration correctly, the display should notify you that the cycle is complete. I would deduct that if the problem is showing up while the truck is moving under power, with the codes still coming up that you posted above, something inside the transmission is loading/ shifting out of place and causing the problem.
NPOMPELLNew Member#11 I'M HAVING A SIMILAR ISSUE BUT WITH CODE B7 FOR OVER TEMP. DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO OR KNOW WHERE TO GET A SERVICE/REPAIR MANUAL FOR THE ZF 6WG-260 ? THANKS
BigbertJunior Member#12 Hi NPOMBELL, I'll share manual in a pm. B7 is overtemp sump, you are right. Guess, higher than 95 degrees Celcius. When does it occur? After longhaul ride at high speed? Check oil level, set level rather lower than hot max. at dipstick. If pump creates some noise at cold start AND high rpm it doesn't matter. Check cleanliness of radiator, fan is working?
NPOMPELLNew Member#13 I WILL CHECK THESE THINGS AND AWAIT THE MANUAL. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!
devinjohnson84New Member#14 Terex ta30 transmission will not engage any gear. Machine was mobile a week ago no issues. Code BA popped up and I changed the dual filter head. Now no codes and still will not move. I have checked every sensor and made sure it was plugged in. Also getting correct main pressure at test port k
BigbertJunior Member#15 Devin, definitely the right thing to change filters with BA code. You move the gear switch to forward or reverse and nothing happens on display? Still N? No further fault codes? So I'd assume the unlock button on top of gear switch does not work and will not allow go into gear. Check signals from gear switch.
devinjohnson84New Member#16 getting main pressure of 220-250psi. supply lines to valve body for solenoids all pressure up as needed still wont move or even seem like its going in gear. plugged into the valve body with test box to run solenoids only and still northing
BigbertJunior Member#17 Devin, I apologize for my english language capabilities. Do I understand you right? The hoses from control valve to clutches are getting pressure according to coding? And no reaction at prop shafts or wheels? Hard to imagine. What kind of test box did you fit? Pressure gauges? Or external power supply to solenoids?
devinjohnson84New Member#18 Yes the supply hose to the clutch solenoids are getting pressure when shifting with test box sending external power to solenoids
BigbertJunior Member#19 What kind of test box are you talking about? Please share some pictures. The clutch solenoids are located in control valve on top of transmission. From there six hoses lead to clutches via oil feed flanges. These hoses are getting pressure with your test box? Two clutches need to be powered to allow drive.
devinjohnson84New Member#20 The test box I was sent hooks up to the battery and then to the solenoid harness on the valve body where I’m able to control the solenoids