I bought a red 1967 International 1200B pickup from M & M Sales in Parksville, B.C. just before my 17th birthday in 1984 and drove that truck daily until I sold it in 1990. I wish I had found a place to store that truck rather than selling it but anyway years later I decided to look for another one. In 2017 I found this red 1967 1100B for sale in southern California and had to have it. The truck is a lot like the one I had when I was a kid with a V8 4 speed and Custom Interior & Exterior Trim, the only real difference is it's a 1/2 ton rather than a 3/4 ton but this one is a Campermobile, International's name for a Camper Special, and was equipped with 12" brakes like the 3/4 ton and a Dana 60 Semi-Floater rear end. When we got the truck home we just cleaned it up and tucked it away in the shop until we decided what we were going to do with it, a Cummins swap was already on our minds so was an addition to the shop with a lift and more tools. In the spring of 2020 we had the addition to the shop completed and in the fall we picked up 12 valve Cummins from a '94 Dodge with only 220,000 Kms on it and a rebuilt NV4500 5 speed. My sons and I started this build in April 2021 and had it roadworthy by mid July. This was our first build of this type, together we figured out how things should be done and my sons did all of the work. Since then we have made a few performance modifications and reached our goal of 400+ rear wheel horsepower and 1000 FTLBs torque. Actual numbers are 440 RWHP/1100 FTLBs torque and 492 HP at the flywheel. The engine has 16 degrees of fuel pump timing and there's no sound deadening material or carpet in the truck, it is very loud in the cab but that is what we wanted. The truck had 15" two-piece wheels on it when we got it, the snap ring type that many tire shops won't touch anymore. The Wheel Smith in Corona, CA. made us a set of 16" one-piece wheels with adaptors so we could install the original International hubcaps. They did a great job and I highly recommend them for custom wheels. Two things that we thought would be a challenge ended up being easy. 1. We wanted to use the original speedometer and found that the NV4500 transmissions made from 1994-1996 had electronic over mechanical speedometer drives. All we had to do was simply removed that unit and drop in a mechanical speedometer drive unit from a late 1960s Chrysler Torqueflight automatic transmission with the correct gear for our tire size & rear end gear ratio and a longer speedometer cable. 2. We also wanted to use the original cast iron IH master cylinder for the clutch. The Dodge master cylinder & slave cylinder for the clutch are a one-piece unit with a plastic type line between them. We used a 5/16" to 1/4" brass compression fitting to join the Dodge plastic line to the IH steel line and have had no problems with it. The Intercooler was an after thought. We weren't going to install one because trucks in the 1960s didn't have them but we thought we might as well put one in now that later if we changed our minds. There was just enough room between the grille & radiator and we were still able to use the factory hood release. It's a very tight fit. I will be posting more pictures. Mat
1967 International 1100B Pickup Cummins Power
Started by RedTruck110022 replies
RedTruck1100Junior Member#1 RedTruck1100Junior Member#2 We had a set of custom made tachometer, boost & pyro gauges made to match the original speedometer.
92U 3406Senior Member#3 One of the instructors I had in tradeschool had one of those pickups. Easily the coolest truck in the staff parking lot.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#4 My oldest son made the gear shift lever and put a vintage glitter knob on it to replace the shortened Dodge lever we had used initially.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#5 This is the two-piece exhaust pipe my oldest son made. If I remember correctly there are 41 pie cuts in it.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#6 Motor mounts
mowingmanSenior Member#7 Back in the early 70's, I worked in a lot of underground mines. Many of them, that used diesel equipment, had crewcab IH pickups that were equipped with little Perkins diesels. I don't know if you could special order these from the factory, or if some company offered the conversion. I always thought a diesel pickup was pretty neat way back then.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#8 IH offered a D301 diesel in their pickups in the 60s, I've seen a few advertised for sale but have never seen one in person. I've heard of other companies also doing conversions including some with small Detroits.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#9 mowingman said: Back in the early 70's, I worked in a lot of underground mines. Many of them, that used diesel equipment, had crewcab IH pickups that were equipped with little Perkins diesels. I don't know if you could special order these from the factory, or if some company offered the conversion. I always thought a diesel pickup was pretty neat way back then. Click to expand... I actually started looking for another International pickup in 2010 and since I now had a wife and two kids I decided to look for a crew cab. I ended up picking up this 1968 1200C that was from an estate in Colfax, WA. The truck is mostly original with 48,000 miles on it. Pretty nice the whole family can go to a truck show together.
Truck ShopSuper User#10 IH did some odd stuff and offered odd options. Towing company I worked for in 80's had 1968 1 ton 4x4 392-4 spd with a Dana 60 for the front axle. It broke the right one, only found one in Calif for it. * Being from Colfax it should have been totally rust free.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#11 Truck Shop said: IH did some odd stuff and offered odd options. Towing company I worked for in 80's had 1968 1 ton 4x4 392-4 spd with a Dana 60 for the front axle. It broke the right one, only found one in Calif for it. * Being from Colfax it should have been totally rust free. Click to expand... Just some light surface rust here and there. You're right about odd options, I had a '68 pickup parts truck that had a factory 5 speed overdrive in it.
Truck ShopSuper User#12 Yeah--IH built some odd stuff--allot of items years ago for RR that were special task units.
Truck ShopSuper User#13 There was one of these just up the hyw from town, disappeared. I don't think IH built many of these 1957 4x4 Travelall, but I'm thinking it had three doors. *
CamshawnJunior Member#14 406 garage on u tube out of central Oregon collects, restores, buys, and sells International trucks.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#15 Truck Shop said: There was one of these just up the hyw from town, disappeared. I don't think IH built many of these 1957 4x4 Travelall, but I'm thinking it had three doors. * View attachment 324086 Click to expand... Yes the early Travelalls and Travelettes (crew cabs) had three doors. I know a local fellow that is working on a '56 Travelall 4x4.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#16 Camshawn said: 406 garage on u tube out of central Oregon collects, restores, buys, and sells International trucks. Click to expand... Yes that's Ben Palmer, he has found a lot of nice Internationals.
Welder DaveExpert#17 Very cool. How about some pics. of the whole truck. I know a guy that makes cone pipes for dirt bikes. Some pipes have over 20 pieces and they have to fit pretty good to be able to bolt on the bike. He O/A welds them so there isn't much build up and they're fairly smooth. I know it's a lot of work but your custom piping would look really nice if you ground the welds down.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#18 Welder Dave, here you go. Looks like the picture of the whole truck I attached to the first post was too big. My son showed me how to make them smaller. We thought about grinding the welds on the exhaust pipe but decided to leave it until we repaint the truck. We are going to repaint the Cummins as well, it will be a vintage color, probably beige.
Welder DaveExpert#19 Looks good. I remember when a guy I knew got a truck to drive prior to getting his license. He wasn't old enough yet but when asked what he got his response was pretty flat... 68 International! It was a red step side probably the same colour as yours.
RedTruck1100Junior Member#20 Thank you. That's simply IH Red.