My first time dealing with 5-piece loader wheels. Just curious how do the inner ring seal to the main rim? The parts diagram I have only shows an o-ring on the outer ring.
5-piece Rim Inner Ring Seal
Started by marcus thies9 replies
marcus thiesNew Member#1 NigeLegend#2 marcus thies said: The parts diagram I have only shows an o-ring on the outer ring. Click to expand... Post up an image of the parts diagram you have please.
marcus thiesNew Member#3 Here is a picture of what I have.
Deere500aSenior Member#4 5 piece Makes no sense.
John C.Super User#5 The tire bead seals on the wheel at the back side. The O ring seals the large flange #4 to the wheel and the tire bead seals over the top of that ring.
marcus thiesNew Member#6 Yes I understand that that on a 3 piece rim . How do the flanges seal to the center/main rim on a 5 piece.
Deere500aSenior Member#7 Yes sir but his picture makes no sense
John C.Super User#8 When I worked for the Cat dealer a 5 piece rim was an option. I would have to see a parts diagram to remember them. I seem to recall extra ring on that lock ring side plus a wheel lock.
NigeLegend#9 marcus thies said: How do the flanges seal to the center/main rim on a 5 piece. Click to expand... The flanges don't have to seal, they only have to hold the tyre bead in place. The bead of the tyre forms the seal to the rim on the inside and to the bead seat band on the outside in the areas shown by the red arrows. That's why the bead of the tyre has a large "foot" built into it to make the seal between the rim or the bead seat band and the tyre. Air under pressure should not get past the tyre bead as far as the flanges unless something is leaking. The only O-Ring required is to seal between the inside diameter to the bead seat band and the rim (blue arrow) because both of those parts are steel. Deere500a said: 5 piece Makes no sense. Click to expand... Rim base, 2 identical flanges, bead seat band, and lock ring = 5 pieces. That's the terminology I've always used.
marcus thiesNew Member#10 Thank you for the information that's the only way I could see this type of wheel sealing.