DieselDialogue

240E Timberjack Engine Swap

Started by dieseldog5.912 replies

  1. dieseldog5.9Junior Member#1

    I am working up to and engine swap in a 240E Timberjack, and before anyone gets to exited I tried selling a 4bt conversion and they were not interested. I don't want to mess around with rebuilding this engine, just want to swap the engine for the owner and get it out of here. I know I need to look for direction of rotation and which side the blower is on, but are there different governors in these engines such as a variable speed governor vs a constant speed governor? Also, is this engine oil multi viscosity issue with these engines true of a bunch of BS?

  2. Tyler d4cSenior Member#2

    Call up this guy he keeps remans tgat he builds hes tge go to for me for 2 cycle goods. Yes they do prefer a single weight oil tho many have been ran on 15w 40

  3. dieseldog5.9Junior Member#3

    I sent them an email, appreciate the referal. Any Detroit shops in Massachussets?

  4. Simon CSuper User#4

    dieseldog5.9 said: I am working up to and engine swap in a 240E Timberjack, and before anyone gets to exited I tried selling a 4bt conversion and they were not interested. I don't want to mess around with rebuilding this engine, just want to swap the engine for the owner and get it out of here. I know I need to look for direction of rotation and which side the blower is on, but are there different governors in these engines such as a variable speed governor vs a constant speed governor? Also, is this engine oil multi viscosity issue with these engines true of a bunch of BS? Click to expand... Worked lots on these engines. The governor is a Double weight Limiting speed. The correct engine is with a camshaft that is stamped RA in the front on the end of the shaft. Was hundreds of these units back in the day in Northern Ontario. Run best with Straight 40 weight with oil pan heaters, but some have used 15W40 but engine life will be somewhat shorter. Probably last till end of engine if you can find one. Any questions fire away. Simon C

  5. dieseldog5.9Junior Member#5

    Are these engines specific to Timberjack in anyway? Or can I pull a used 453 out of another manufacturer machine as long as the exhaust is on the same side and make it work?

  6. Simon CSuper User#6

    You can only use an engine with the exhaust on the same side, that being said, there were forklifts and all kinds of units with the RA stamp on the end of the camshaft that could be used. Governor has to be stamped DWLS to be the correct type. The governor on some units were set at anywhere between 2500- 3000 RPM. That is adjusted with shims on the back end of governor. Do not ever start one of these engines without first clamping a set of Good Vicegrips to the connection from the fuel rack to the governor. There is a 1/4 inch pin with cotter pin in it at that location. Reason why? Sometimes on start up an injector will stick in full fuel and you will have a runaway in 3 seconds. It has happened to me many a times when adjusting the buffer Screw to prevent hunting and the vice grips saved me in 1 second. Maki's Diesel in Thunder Bay Ontario may know someone who has one. Simon C

  7. TenwheelerJunior Member#7

    I have a friend with a good 4 - 53 in his barn. Came out of a boom crane with a fresh rebuild. He was looking for more power for his saw mill but it does not drop in for his 2 valve 4 - 71.

  8. Simon CSuper User#8

    Tenwheeler said: I have a friend with a good 4 - 53 in his barn. Came out of a boom crane with a fresh rebuild. He was looking for more power for his saw mill but it does not drop in for his 2 valve 4 - 71. Click to expand... There was a lot of boom cranes in the day with these exact engines. I completely did one in a Bantam Crane with a broken crank back in 1991. Simon C

  9. dieseldog5.9Junior Member#9

    These are good tips, I have worked on a few of these detroits, and made sure the emegency air shutoff door was functioning properly first.

  10. Simon CSuper User#10

    dieseldog5.9 said: These are good tips, I have worked on a few of these detroits, and made sure the emegency are door was functioning properly first. Click to expand... Yes flapper door is important, but just to let you know I had a 12V71 Twin Turbo generator that tried to run away with both doors tripped and only the fuel line disconnected saved us. Don't bank on the blower door shutting it down 100% of the time. Simon C

  11. DDougSuper User#11

    I think the reason a 4bt conversion might not work, as the machine is geared for the Detroit, spinning a bit faster than the Cummins.

  12. Mike LJunior Member#12

    Logging Supplies and Skidder Parts Logging Supplies and Skidder Parts as well as many other items and parts for forestry equipment can be found at Harold's Logging Supplies www.logging-supplies.com maybe try and give these guys a call. They don’t work on them but have sold parts for them forever and may have some contacts to help you out

  13. eastroadNew Member#13

    Give RCS Diesel in Ludlow, Mass a call. They used to have an ad online.

Reply